Reviewing motor vehicle reports on new employees, prior to hiring, is the single most important business decision you can make. This will help guarantee the insurability and continued excellent rates provided to you by The Erie Insurance Group and Preferred Insurance Services, Inc.
To ensure the hiring of safe drivers, prior to hiring, make sure employees have a good motor vehicle report (MVR) if they are to operate motor vehicles for you business. You can do one of the following:
- Require the new hire to bring a copy of their MVR for your review.
- Require that the new employee fill out a Commercial Driver Questionnaire (CDQ) and fax it to Preferred Insurance Services, Inc. Preferred will forward the information to Erie who will pull this information and determine if the employee is an acceptable driver.
If your company chooses to review the MVR, please use the following standard to assist you in making an educated assessment of the driver’s record:
- No more than 2 violations /accidents for the past 5 years
- No major violations for the past 5 years (DWI, Reckless driving, Speed over 20 mph)
Maryland & DC
- No more than 2 violations/accidents for the past 3 year
- No major violations for the past 3 years (DWI, Reckless driving, Speed over 20 mph)
Reviewing an applicant’s MVR’s prior to hiring, and following these industry standards, will help to avoid any unnecessary hiring of an employee that may not qualify to drive a company vehicle. In the end, the hiring of good drivers will save your company in lower automobile insurance costs.